Thursday, June 9, 2011

I think I'm in 1797

I've been working in the kitchen the past 2 days.  For a person that doesn't normally cook....I've been cooking up a storm.  Don't get me wrong...I'm still "on the job training"  but yesterday we made shortbread in a dutch oven and we cook Galette's (flat bread) in a skillet in the open hearth.  Today we made chocolate cake w/maple frosting. Oh yummy!!!!   I made the cake in the dutch oven in the fireplace.  It cooked too fast and got burnt...but we cut the burned part off and frosted er up and it was to die for.  Then we fired up the baking oven outside.  That was  a 4 hour process....but by 2:30 we had 4 very nice loaves of whole wheat bread.  Very pretty.  Cooking in the 1790's is not a light weight job.  You start the fire in the hearth right off the bat, then you have to haul water several times a day and haul in more wood.  After using the cast iron cookware you have to rub it down with beeswax. No microwaves or dishwashers...those cooks had to work really hard.  I felt quite proud of my baked goods.  Dale gets his turn in the kitchen tomorrow.  We'll just have to see how he holds up:)

No comments:

Post a Comment