Wednesday, October 9, 2013

SOME DUFUR HISTORY - Aztec, NM 1909-1906

Dale's great-uncle, William T. Dufur was the San Juan county Sheriff in Aztec, NM from 1909 to 1916.  Two years as the territorial sheriff, then after New Mexico became a state in 1912 he was sheriff there for another 4 years.  Actually the longest serving sheriff in San Juan County history.
We went to the Aztec museum and they have a "Pioneer Village" with old buildings. They had a sheriff's office and on the desk in the "sheriff's office" was a photo of Sheriff Dufur.  It was a lot of fun.  When we came back to the museum part after our walk thru....the lady there had a file all set out for us to go through.  Lots of photos and documents even a copy of Dale's great-grandfathers homestead certificate for property in Arkansas.  Very interesting.....signed by Grover Cleveland.  Our trip to Aztec was motivated by the desire to get more family information.  We weren't disappointed.



8 comments:

  1. My name is Ron Yingling and William T. Dufur was my grandfather on my Mother's side. I am wondering how we are related and would like to be in contact with you. My email is ronaldyomar@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Kim (Painter) Didier. William T Dufur is my great-great grandfather. His daughter, Willie Rosalie is my great grandmother. Her daughter, Udelle is my grandma. I'd love to connect with other Dufur family. I live in Texas and travel through New Mexico often, to go visit family. I can be contacted at hapygrl65@gmail.com for any family who wants to reach out and connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. We are in Texas at the moment. Are you still in Texas? If so what town?

      Delete
    2. Hi Kim. We are in Texas at the moment. Are you still in Texas? If so what town?

      Delete
    3. Hi Kim. We are in Texas at the moment. Are you still in Texas? If so what town?

      Delete
  3. Hi, My name is Joanna Oliver and William T. is my great great grandfather on my Dad's side. My line goes through his daughter Lottie Lavina. I also just meet a 4th cousin, removed, Karla York. Her line goes through the Ermiline, sister of James Hollister Dufur, father of William T. I live in the Aztec area. If you would like to contact me, please use oliverj2586@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen / September 21, 2021 at 9:37

    Hi, My name is Karen (Travers) Russell and William T. Dufur is my Great Grandfather on my Mother's side. My Grandmother is Elizabeth Bell (Dufur) Dodds. She told me a story about her Father when he was a Sheriff in N.M.
    I live in Watsonville California
    I am planning a trip to Aztec and would love to meet up.
    I have cousin's out there that I have never met.
    If you would like to contact me please use my email:
    bkrussell_1@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat and Dale, I loved reading about your visit to the San Juan co. Sheriff's office. William was my great grandfather. His son Alonzo was my grandfather who was the father of my dad Donald Lee Dufur who grew up in Durango and then ended up in Memphis in the Navy where he met and married my mother.
    My grandad, Alonzo was also a Sheriff in Durango and 2 of his brothers were deputies.

    ReplyDelete