Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Our Home Sweet TEXAS Home

We arrived at the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge in Anahuac, TX today......on the tail of a tornado and a thunderstorm.  Fortunately after we left San Antonio we received a phone call from our volunteer coordinator letting us know that they had severe weather and to be alert.  So...that woke us up. We were very glad for the call.  I checked on the Smart Phone to see what was up and sure enough there was Tornado and Thunderstorm alerts for the area until 2pm.  We arrived in our spot at 3pm.  The highways through Houston were a sloppy mess, but Dale did great.  I was the one with the white knuckles.  Then when we arrived at our RV spot it was still raining so we had to get backed into our spot and get the jacks down and unhitched in the rain.  I'm sure we were quite the sight.  I had my hooded rain jacket on and my walkie talkie in hand so I could direct Dale into the spot.  A couple of our new neighbors came out to assist.  One woman came to give me an umbrella...but I assured her I was fine...with my hood and wanted both of my hands free.  Poor Dale was a drowned rat by the time he got everything hooked up.  Electric, Water, Sewer....all the necessities of life.  But after a change of clothes and some dinner I think all is right with the world once again.  Well almost.....we don't have our Satelite Dish hooked up yet...so NO TV.

We received a phone call from the coordinator and she already has training lined up for us tomorrow.  I told her we had to work in grocery shopping sometime tomorrow and she was quite agreeable to let us train at our own pace.  Oh.....and much to our surprise there are mosquitos here....even in the rain.  They must be hardy little things.  I'm thinking we'll have to get out the bug spray.....in January.   I'm hoping no rain for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment